A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo.
Mother Jones obtained a memo from the Russian government to the country’s media outlets urging them to use clips of Fox News host Tucker Carlson peddling a Russia-friendly narrative about the Ukraine invasion on his show.
- Russian media has obliged. Here’s one example:
- Carlson’s been pretty pissed at fellow Fox News colleague Jennifer Griffin for debunking Russia’s disinformation on biolabs in Ukraine, by the way.
Pompeo Still Getting Extra Security
The State Department reported to Congress in February that the department was spending more than $2 million a month to provide 24-hour security to former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and ex-Iran envoy Brian Hook because they face “serious and credible” threats from Iran .
Get TPM in your inbox, twice weekly.
- $13.1 million was spent in total between August last year and last month, the report stated. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has been repeatedly extending Pompeo’s security every 60 days after the first 180 days of security the former Trump official automatically got after leaving office expired.
- Iran hasn’t forgotten that Pompeo and Hook headed the Trump administration’s “maximum pressure” campaign against it, and so the alleged threats against the two former officials have continued even as the Biden administration works to re-enter the nuclear agreement Trump pulled out of, according to the department’s report.
- Now the State Department and the Director of National Intelligence have to decide by Wednesday if they want to keep extending that security to the ex-Trump officials.
Florida Fails To Pass Safety Laws To Prevent Another Condo Disaster
Lawmakers in Florida’s GOP-controlled Senate and House couldn’t reach an agreement on Friday over reforming the state’s condo laws to prevent another massive collapse like the one in Surfside, Florida that killed 98 people last year.
Russia Turning To China For Help In Ukraine, US Says
- Financial Times: “US officials say Russia has asked China for military help in Ukraine”
- The Washington Post: “China calls US allegation that Russia asked Beijing for military equipment ‘fake news’”
- The Guardian: “US will try to convince China not to supply arms to Russia at key Rome meeting”
- New York Times: “China Sees at Least One Winner Emerging From Ukraine War: China”
Jan. 6 Panel’s Report To Lean Heavily On Video
When the House Jan. 6 Committee finally puts out its public report on the Capitol attack sometime this year, expecting it to be more digestible than Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Bible-length text of 448 pages on his Russia election interference probe, CBS News reports: The committee is reportedly expected to present much of the evidence in video and multimedia formats.
- The idea is to make the panel’s findings easier to broadcast on TV and spread on social media, according to CBS News. The committee also reportedly wants to show evidence that’ll jolt people who feel like they already understand what happened on Jan. 6.
- The committee was reportedly inspired by the House impeachment managers–one of whom included current Jan. 6 panel member Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD)–presenting a jarring 13-minute video of the Capitol attack during Trump’s second Senate impeachment trial.
“The painful, cutting and brilliant letters Black people wrote to their former enslavers” – The Washington Post
Remembering Trump’s Corrupt Ukraine Pressure Scheme
As Trump’s allies and conservative media try to blame Biden for Russia’s attack on Ukraine, CNN analyst Asha Rangappa points out contemps’ findings in Trump’s first impeachment that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was worried about Trump emboldening Russia by withholding aid to Ukraine:
The Right-Wing Media Cesspit
BREAKING: Fox News host Maria Bartiromo reports that “some people” have told her that they “feel that” Biden is not only too soft on Putin but even sees him as a partner! Imagine the President of the United States cozying up to the Russian leader like that!
Obama Gets COVID
Former President Barack Obama tweeted on Sunday that he’d tested positive for the virus, but is “feeling fine” besides having a scratchy throat for the past several days.
Do you like Morning Memo? Let us know!